IF YOU'VE ENJOYED ANY (OR MANY) OF THESE RATHER EXCITING '78' TRANSFERS THEN A MODEST CONTRIBUTION WOULD HAVE BEEN MUCH APPRECIATED.... https://www.paypal.me

07/09/2014

24/48: Constant Lambert / Halle Orchestra - Borodin. Symphony 2 - Columbia 1943

Alexander Borodin:   Symphony no.2 in B minor 
I:  Allegro  ~  II:  Scherzo (Prestissimo) - Allegretto  ~  III:  Andante  ~  IV:  Finale (Allegro)  
The Halle Orchestra  conducted by  Constant Lambert     
16/44 FLAC  Mega Download       24/48 FLAC 
W.A.Mozart:  Divertimento in D major, K.251 - Andantino   The Halle Orchestra  conducted by  Laurence Turner   

Columbia  DX 1125-1128   Matrices: CAX 9108 -9114  -1/-1/-2/-2/-1/-1/-1 // CAX 9115 -1   1943 pressings
Recorded: 26 March 1943 - Houldsworth Hall, Manchester.         

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous23 June, 2011

    Nicely done. Many thanks. I have this recording in 78 form but it's not complete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't swear that the EQ was 100% accurate in terms of the bass (which really is too 'emphatic') but I transferred this @ less than 78rpm - so it goes a bit haywire compared to a transfer @ 78 through a Leak Varislope Stereo pre-amp (with its variable EQ/filter/slope controls) - which is why I'd prefer to offer 'raw' transfers as well (did for this but almost no interest was shown..)..but, as usual, I've tried to retain the dynamics - though did use a bit of 'noise reduction' (Diamond Cut DC6) to 'even-out' the shellac 'sizzle'..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks! This has been a favorite, since I first heard in the 1970s on a 78 rpm set with one cracked disk. Thre are a few moments (25:00 to 25:14) that sound somewhat sea-sick, as though the side was not pressed dead-center but I recall it was the case with my set, too. Nevertheless, the most thrilling recorded Borodin #2 I've ever heard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the main fault was the poor-quality @ the start of side 3.
    Have 3 sets: but this is 'wartime' recording...but I suspect I retained a end-side chord-join @ the penultimate side

    Fabulous performance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please, re-up this gem!
    Thanks in advance,
    Nikita

    ReplyDelete
  6. I retain the May 2011 file but haven't bothered to re-upload: mostly due to my previous comments above - and would need to alter the bass (too little 'reverse' RIAA EQ applied) also if I use some additional 'de-click/NR' it may not improve the sound as the WAV file has the DC6 applied already (now I can use something slightly better)...

    I'll tinker-around with the file to see if I can 'improve' it: if not will just upload a FLAC copy..say by Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Well - I hope it is - as only 'balanced' this on the laptop setup!

      Delete