IF YOU'VE ENJOYED ANY (OR MANY) OF THESE RATHER EXCITING '78' TRANSFERS THEN A MODEST CONTRIBUTION WOULD HAVE BEEN MUCH APPRECIATED.... https://www.paypal.me

14 Apr 2016

24/48: Hermann Abendroth / London S.O. - Brahms. Symphony 4 - HMV 1927

Johannes Brahms:
Symphony no.4 in E minor, op.98   
IAllegro non troppo   ~  II: Andante moderato  ~  IIIAllegro giocoso   ~   IVAllegro energico e passionato  
16/44 FLAC  Zippy Download                24/48 FLAC  Fichier Download
London Symphony Orchestra  conducted by  Hermann Abendroth
HMV  D.1265-70   Album no.45.   Matrices: CR1235-46 (Ia,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,Ia,I)    Recorded: 27 March 1927 - Queen’s Hall   
Minor 'wear' audible on some peaks despite the 1928 set's 'new' appearance.   A (very) low-level recording means unavoidably high surface hiss. 
Much additional (2-part) de-click required....Impressive performance and lovely string tone..

THERE MAY BE A SMALL 'COMPUTER SOUND EDITING FAULT' (the HD was failing) near the end - only just heard it via the new HD - so may re-transfer/re-edit the affected part .....but these transfers are anyway FOR ME: - nobody else seems interested - except to download them, needless to say...

3 comments:

  1. This is lovely - clear, warm sound, and an expressive performance. Thank you very much. How do I drop you something via Paypal?

    bittertea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be so much nicer without the surface 'hash'.. I was forewarned by seeing a sold set (US RCA pressing - $50) with a sellers comment re; the low-level - which is some 3dB less than HMV's I'd transferred before - so around 12dB noisier than an EMI pressed RCA!
      ..so huge surface 'interference'.

      Shame about the slight wear - basically the date of pressing - have a worse problem with Ronald's Beethoven 5 - the earlier pressing ('26/7) has wear - but the 1928/9 pressings don't - but the shellac is much noisier - can't win...

      The recording is mostly outstanding - great waves of string-tone - the earlier edit (without the second de-click) gave me goosebumps - so hope this isn't damaged because of that - but the surface crackle was still excessive (used '6' instead of the normal '3.6-3.8').

      The British Library have an audio file - but it's totally washed-out - and I'd suspect the 'Opus Kura' isn't much better, as a review I saw isn't mentioning how 'virile' it is as a performance.

      Re: Donations - the main blog Paypal link still works - but I no longer know what to do - seems best to forget LP transfers and just upload the odd 78 set - I've got Weingartner's 1938 Brahms 1/4 - LSO - and had been adding donors to a Private blog - but that seems still-born - as the membership is too small - and nobody seems to have 'wants' (could do many 1963-mid-80s LP's) - but a pricey RCM really is obligatory if I am to continue LP transfers - it should've been easy to fund with THOUSANDS of downloaders - but there you are...

      Delete
  2. Oh; and after 6 years of vast usage the editing Laptop HD has finally failed - yet more expense - all in all a dead-loss - best that folks get their crappy mp3's from Amazon, etc - and their debased fakes from elsewhere - clearly quite happy to pay for them.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.